The Institution owes its existence to two illustrious persons, Sri Rajah Venkatadri Apparao Bahudur, Zamindar of Nuzvid and Sri. Chunduri Venkata Reddy, a local Industrialist and Philanthropist. The former started the college in 1937 as a private college in perpetuation of the memory of his father, Sri Rangayya Appa Rao Bahdur and the later shared the responsibility of running the Institution as a committee College along with the founder Zamindar. Then the College was named as “Sri Rajah Rangayya Appa Rao and Chunduri Venkata Reddy College” (S.R.R. & C.V.R. College). This was the first and foremost college in Vijayawada catering to the needs of Higher Education to the people in and around Krishna District.
The College is spread over an area of about seven acres of land situated in a prime locality of Machavaram, which is in the corporation limits of Vijayawada. The college is only one Government college in the Capital city of Andhra Pradesh. The main buildings of the college were constructed between 1940 and 1942 and were inaugurated on 07-02-1942 by the then Vice Chancellor of Andhra University, Waltair, Dr. Cattamanchi Ramalinga Reddy, M.A. (Cantab) D.Litt., a distinguished educationist and academician of Andhra Pradesh and since then it has been a part of the academic, intellectual, social and cultural history of Vijayawada.
After successfully running the College for two decades, the erstwhile management handed over the College to the Govt. of A.P. with effect from01-07-1958 by means of a G.O.Ms. No. 1691 Edn.Dt.29-6-1958. Then the College was named as S.R.R.& C.V.R. Government College, Vijayawada. From 2010-11, the College affiliated to Krishna University, Machilipatnam. The College was recognized by U.G.C. under 2 (f) and 12 (b) from the academic year 1978-79.
The aim of institution is to provide quality higher education to the students of this region particularly those coming from economically and socially backward, and other weaker sections keeping in view the avowed policies of the Government of Andhra Pradesh and the guidelines issued by the Commissioner of Collegiate Education, A.P. from time to time and to train the students in various vocational streams and job orientated professional skills and soft skills. This also aims at inculcating educational, social and cultural values.
The college has a glorious history of having intellectual stalwarts like the first Jnanapith Awardee, Kavisamrat Sri Viswanatha Satyanarayana and Sri.Jonnalagadda Satyanarayana on the faculty. The Institution has sent out generations of students who have become eminent and useful citizens of our country. The Institution also has the unique distinction of having the largest number of alumni who have become reputed academicians, personalities, experts, statesmen and celebrities in various fields both in India and abroad. Among the luminaries, the College mentions with pride the names of Sri. N.T.Rama Rao, former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, His Excellency Sri.P.S.Rama Mohana Rao, former Governor of Tamilnadu, His Excellency Sri.V.Rama Rao, former Governor of Sikkim. The Alumni also comprises numerous bureaucrats, professionals, politicians, social workers, writers and artistes etc.
The institution which is quality conscious went for NAAC accreditation in 2004 to assess its strengths and weaknesses. The NAAC awarded the college B++ Grade with 81.25 percentage of points which illuminated the positive image of the college by building the selfconfidence among the faculty and students. The college was reaccredited with 'B' Grade (CGPA 2.70) by NAAC in 2010-11 and completed its third cycle in 2017 with 'B' Grade (CGPA 2.65).
The Institution has 22 undergraduate and 8 postgraduate academic programmes with 74 regular faculty members, including Principal, 03 Contract Faculty, more than 20 Guest Faculty and 37 non-teaching staff. The total strength of the under graduate courses is 2105 and the total strength of the Postgraduate courses is 145. This is a co-educational institution. The schedule castes, scheduled tribes and listed backward class students constitute 68% of the total admitted strength and even the remaining 32% of students also belong to economically backward and under privileged sections of the society. The output of the institution is fairly above the average level and this was possible only due to the consistent and persistent efforts put in by our faculty in chiseling and channellizing the students.
The college has student support and progression services such as Central Library, a Reading Room, a Computer Centre, Sport facilities, Canteen, Grievance Redressal Cell, Eco Club, Consumer Club, Career Counseling and information Centre, Women Empowerment Cell, Red Ribbon Club and Anti-ragging Committee. The college is a Web counseling centre for Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine common entrance test (EAMCET) of A.P.The college has 2 NSS units (1 boy and 1 girl) and 1 NCC Unit. They are actively involved in multi-dimensional community oriented progammes. Civic responsibility and social commitment are fostered through the activities of NCC and NSS. The college also has a cultural club that encouraged the innate and the latent talents of the students in fine arts.